How to Setup Email Identities
“Identities” let two or more people use an email program to access their own email accounts while keeping all their settings, messages, and contacts completely separate. This page explains how the feature works and how you can setup multiple identities.
Consider Using “User Accounts” Instead of Identities If Possible
Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Mac OS X are designed to be “multi-user” operating systems. Instead of creating email identities, you should create a separate user account for each person who uses the computer. With multiple user accounts, all programs and settings for each person are kept separate. This means each person will have his own email Inbox, desktop, “My Documents” folder, etc.
Configure “Identities” Automatically
We’ve created a small program for Windows computers which can easily setup Identities for you. You can use it to setup multiple email accounts in Outlook Express, Eudora, or Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Download the Email Conifguration Tool and save it to your desktop.
- On your desktop, double-click the icon labeled “multiml.exe.”
- In the window that appears, click “Continue.”
- Select which email program you plan to use. It is best to select only one program. Click “Next” to continue.
- Fill in the email address for the first account you want to configure. In the first box, type the first part of the email address. In the second box, click and select your domain name. Click “Next” to continue.
- Type in your name as you would like it to appear when other people receive email from you. In most cases, you will want to type your first and last name. Click “Next” to continue.
- Click “Finish” to save changes for this account. Afterwards, you can click “Make Another” to run through the steps again to configure another email address.
- Click “Exit” once you’ve configured all the email address you need.
How to Use Identities in Eudora and Mozilla Thunderbird
The Email Configuration Tool creates a separate email icon on the desktop for each email address you configured. To access each separate email account, simply double-click the correct icon.
How to Use Identities in Outlook Express
Outlook Express has a built-in identities feature which the Email Configuration Tool enables for you. To use it, follow these instructions:
- Launch Outlook Express
- Click the “File” menu, then “Switch Identity.”
- In the window that appears, click the name of the identity you want to use, then click “OK.”
- Outlook Express will reload itself with the correct set of email settings, messages, and contacts.