How to Use DSL Line Filters
DSL filters are inexpensive adapters you use to shield your phone line from the digital noise and interference caused by the telephone devices you have in your office or household. All phone devices must have a line filter placed between them and the wall outlet.
Which Phone Cords Require DSL Line Filters?
- Any cord that does not connect to your DSL modem should have a DSL filter on it. This includes:
- Fax Machines
- Answering Machines
- Computer Modems
- Security Alarms
- Do not place a DSL filter on the phone cord that connects from the wall outlet to the back of your DSL modem! If you put a filter on this line, your DSL will not work because the filter strips out the DSL signal your modem needs to connect to the Internet.
How to Install a Line Filter
It’s as easy as installing an ordinary telephone:
- Unplug the regular phone cord from the wall jack.
- Plug the DSL filter into this jack.
- Now plug the phone cord into the DSL filter.