Internet Explorer 5
Internet Explorer keeps track of several settings that affect your browsing experience. This page will explain the Internet Options dialog box by pointing out the location a few key settings. Only the important settings are shown. Other options within the program may be set at your discretion. In general, it is best to stick with default settings for those options.
Accessing the Internet Options Dialog Box
With Internet Explorer open, do the following:
- Click the “Edit” menu.
- Click “Preferences.”
- In the window that appears, click “Browser Display” in the left-hand column.
- Home Page
- In this section, you can specify the website you wish to use as your home page. Simply type in the address of the page.
- The “Use None” button will set your home page to a blank page.
It is very important that all proxy settings be turned off as shown here.
In this window, you can specify default email settings used by Internet Explorer if you click on a web page link that is meant to send an email message. These settings do not necessarily correlate with your email program settings.
- Real Name
- Type your name as you want it to appear in email messages that you send.
- Email Address
- Type your full email address.
- Sending Mail
- Enter the correct SMTP server setting for your service.
- There are many other settings which you may modify. However, this should only be done by advanced users. For most customers, other settings should be left at their default values.